Due to the shared accommodation, we cannot accept applications from a chalet host or a chef on their own – you must be part of a couple applying together!
Now in our 15th season, Alpine365, owned and run by Duncan & Toorna Salmon, is a friendly, family-run independent chalet company offering memorable skiing holidays in the Paradiski with a real emphasis on genuinely personal and flexible customer service, along with beautifully presented, gourmet dining.
We have 5 lovely ski-in/ski-out chalets with ensuite rooms, a log fire, an outdoor hot tub, and commanding views of the piste and the mountains. Each of our chalets is unique and has a character all of its own – but they are all designed to make our guests feel as relaxed as possible, and our staff is a key part of this. We have a very high number of returning guests, who adore our food & service; we were nominated as UK Best Chalet Company in the Daily Telegraph 2014 World Snow Awards; we are the only company in our resort to only employ professional chefs; and we receive consistently excellent 5* TripAdvisor reviews.
We understand that having great staff is one of the most important factors of a great skiing holiday, so we take recruitment very seriously. We want people that join our friendly team to get the best training, feel appreciated and ultimately have a great time in the Alps – and over the years, we have been lucky to have a high number of returning staff. If you have a can-do attitude and an ability to work as hard as you play, then we’d love to talk to you. Here at Alpine365, we’re only a small business, so you would be a core part of our small team, and unlike in much larger firms, you will have an opportunity to make a real difference!
Chalet Couple Role
We’re looking for experienced and enthusiastic couples to run and manage one of our chalets in La Plagne. If a couple, you will ideally be married, or have been together for at least two years. One in the couple will be a chef, the other will be our chalet host – you would between you be responsible for managing an individual chalet.
The chef must be passionate about food and beautiful presentation, professionally trained with restaurant experience, preferably with fine dining knowledge, and happy to design his or her own menu within a budget. With a maximum of 12-14 to cook for, the chef will have time to add some creative garnishes and plate up beautifully. Although we offer a high level of dining, we don’t ask our chefs to spend all day in the kitchen, preparing 7-course tasting menus – and therefore, this position is highly sought-after as you will get plenty of
time to ski.
The chalet host will be professional, presentable and friendly, and their role will involve looking after our highly valued guests, making them feel welcome and happy in the chalet that will become their home for the week. Your main role will involve maintaining extremely high standards of cleanliness, which will involve daily cleaning throughout the chalet. You will also be “front of house” at meals, ensuring that the quality of the food delivered by the chef is matched by your levels of service. Previous experience in catering and hospitality is a real bonus, but not a pre-requisite for an applicant with the right level of drive, a positive outlook to work, and an ability to get on with people of all ages, from children to grandparents.
- Offering warm hospitality and looking after guests during their stay
- Creating a weekly menu to include breakfast, afternoon tea with homemade cakes, and a 4-course evening meal (including cheese course)
- Canapés or amuse-bouche at least twice a week
- Preparing, laying out, plating up and clearing all meals
- Adhering to our Covid cleaning policy
- Daily cleaning, disinfecting and tidying of the chalet (making beds, cleaning bathrooms, kitchen and any shared space in the chalet)
- Weekly cleaning of the chalet on change-over day, preparing for the arrival of new guests
- Cleaning and maintaining the hot tub
- Weekly stock-take, and shopping for food, according to a budget and guest levels
- Maintaining and observing all hygiene, health and safety standards
- Clearing snow and ice from steps, paths and parking spots
- Preparing to kindle and laying and lighting fires most evenings
- Occasional driving of guests in company vehicles to and from ski lifts
- Arranging and delivering list passes to guests as required by Alpine365
- Ad-hoc other duties as required
The chef must be professionally trained with proven experience in restaurants. You will almost certainly be working in a cheffing role now, or at least in the very recent past. The host would ideally have hospitality experience, either in front of house or in housekeeping, but more importantly, you will have an outgoing personality, be able to interact with guests of all ages and nationalities, be friendly, happy and smiling. Both chef and host will have proven levels of conscientiousness and should be able to clearly demonstrate an ability to work on their own initiative. Ideally, at least one of you will hold a clean, valid drivers licence and be over the age of 25 (for car insurance purposes).
You must either have an EU passport or if you are British and do not have a ‘Carte de séjour’ giving you the right to work in France, we will organise a working permit for you if your application is successful. You will then need to apply for a working visa from the French embassy.
We offer a very strong package for the right staff:
- French Seasonal Contract
- Competitive wage
- Additional 250€pp performance-related bonus at end of season
- 5% commission on any staff-generated bookings
- Two days off per week
- Full accommodation for the season in your own apartment, inc all costs (eg electricity/water etc)
- Private studio apartment for each couple
- All meals provided (3 meals per day, inc days off)
- Full Paradiski (Les Arcs and La Plagne) season lift pass
- Access to customer tips – can be over €100 per week per chalet
- Operation of chalet honesty bar – all sales profit for staff, often €100+ per chalet per week
- Travel to and from the UK/Europe to the resort
- All relevant pre-season training – normally about 3 weeks before the first guests arrive
- Specialist ski insurance
- Ski hire equipment, if required
- Subsidised ski lessons (in low season)
Are you the Chalet Couple we are looking for? Apply now!