Chef Job description
AliKats is an independent luxury chalet company based in Morzine in the French Alps, run by Al & Kat Judge. We started with one chalet in 2011 and have now expanded our portfolio to consist of 6 catered and 6 self-catered chalets.
Excellent food is at the heart of an AliKats holiday and we work really hard to put together interesting and varied menus that will delight our guests. Almost everything is made from scratch using local, seasonal sustainable ingredients wherever possible. We are looking for a chef who understands and shares our values and will ensure that the food being delivered in the chalets each day is of the highest quality.
This job would suit someone who likes a calm working environment and being part of a small close knit team. The ideal candidate will be dedicated and trustworthy; be interested in sustainability and passionate about cooking delicious creative food.
Tasks & responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Working alongside one other chef to prep the key elements of the evening meal on 5 days per week for an average of up to 50 covers per day for the catered chalet and around 30 per day for the self-catered chalets. Including but not limited to: preparing fresh stocks, sauces, preserves, canapés, vegetables, marinading meat, desserts & pastries.
- Preparing meals to meet specific dietary requirements & children’s meals.
- Placing food orders, shopping for ingredients, managing stock levels etc.
- Working to a set menu and set budget.
- Maintaining excellent hygiene standards within the kitchen; correct food storage, washing up, cleaning fridges, freezers & store rooms etc.
- Overseeing the packing & delivery of food to the chalets by the support team.
- Reducing food wastage & increasing efficiencies wherever possible.
- Helping to train the chalet cooks at the start of the season and ensure that food is being served correctly in the chalets.
Skills & experience
- Minimum 3 years previous professional cheffing experience (references required)
- Passion for food & cooking
- A positive attitude and willingness to work hard
- A commitment to sustainability
- Minimum age of 21 (as specified by our vehicle insurer)
- A full manual driving license that allows you to drive in Europe.
- An interest in skiing/snowboarding or love for the mountains.
- Good level of spoken English
- Some spoken French would be an advantage
Start Date: 20th November (Approx – may change to a week earlier tbc)
Finish Date: 27th April.
Hours: 40h/week (8h/day 5 days/week plus 2 full days off approximately – might vary a bit day to day.)
Gross salary: Equivalent of €28k/year which is €2334/month gross
Advanced purchase of a full Portes du Soleil season pass worth c.850 euros. This would then be deducted from your salary each month
Advanced purchase of Carte Neige insurance (this covers you getting off the mountain in the event of an injury) worth c.€100. This would then be deducted from your salary each month. NB: You will need your own travel insurance to cover medical costs.
2 full days off per week
Ski or snowboard equipment hire
A budget of €100 towards travel costs to and from Morzine from the UK or equivalent
A budget of €100 per month to spend on food in Carrefour supermarket plus provision of meals while working.
Good standard of accommodation in a shared room (unless otherwise agreed) all bills included.
Training prior to the start of the season.
If you want to be part of an exceptional team, to work hard and play hard this winter, then please send us your CV and a cover letter.
Are you excited? Apply now!