Collett’s are looking for hiking enthusiasts to host & advise our guests on hiking holidays in the stunning Austrian Alps and Italian Dolomites this summer- from early June to late September 2023. We are looking for a pair of friends or a couple, but we will accept single applications.
This is a lovely job if you enjoy people and the outdoors, with lots of time built in to explore the local area. The role includes a huge hosting element, as well as acting as a holiday representative. You need to enjoy looking after people, helping them to enjoy all elements of their holiday, & solving problems for them where you can. We need warm, friendly, polite, enthusiastic, organised & resourceful people. We need a team of two in Austria and three in the Dolomites.
You would need to learn about 18 – 25 hikes in the area which we have documented. Before the guests arrive and for the first two weeks of the season you would go out and do these hikes with your teammates to be able to give your guests very detailed descriptions of the routes, so that they can decide if they will be suitable for them.
Please note that you need to have a valid EU passport to be able to apply for this vacancy!
A TYPICAL DAY
The morning starts around 7am when you would have your breakfast in the staff apartment, then make your way to see your guests in their main accommodation. From 8am onwards you would make yourself available to your guests to give them last minute walking advice for the day.
Evening – Office Hour
From 5:00 pm until 7:30 pm you would host what we call ‘Office Hour’. In a very sociable atmosphere, over a drink before dinner, you would help your guests to make their hiking plans for the next day, using suggested routes and itineraries which Collett’s have put together. You would also be helping guests who may want to do other activities in the area, or visit places of interest nearby etc. You might have to find out information about costs etc., and sometimes make bookings on their behalf.
At Office Hour you will also field a host of other questions, requests, or problems which guests may have, such as: accommodation issues, problem with a hire car hire, information about local shops, pharmacies and doctor’s surgery opening times etc. On occasion you will accompany guests to the Doctors in the village if they have a health issue or injury, to give as much support as you can in what can be a stressful situation for them.
Airport Transfers (Dolomites Only) Saturdays & Wednesdays
At least once a week you would also be required to act as a representative on a coach to and from the airports in Venice, dropping off and picking guests up to bring them back to the Dolomites. This is a massively important task, as you will be turning a functional journey into the start of people’s holidays. On your return to the village, you would help your guests to settle in, and pass on essential information about their stay, and running Office Hour as normal with your teammates etc. These are long days, often departing on a coach around 6am and picking up from Venice around 3pm, with a potential return to resort at 7pm, after which you would still be helping to look after your guests.
Weekly Administration Tasks
Liaison with UK Office: You would liaise with our UK office on a weekly basis by phone and email. We would send you arrivals reports each week, with information about your guests, and their arrival times each week. You would also keep some weekly accounts for any purchases you have to make for food and other work-related costs.
Ongoing Route Description Updates
Throughout the season we will ask you to continue to check and amend the route descriptions we give to the guests for their walks. We might also ask you to check out new routes and write descriptions for these also.
Social Media Content
On a weekly basis, we require our staff teams to gather some simple photography and video ‘content’ for our social media platforms, using your smartphone or the Resort smartphone we supply you with.
- Available for the full period from start of June until 24th September 2023.
- You would need to have an EU passport, or residency in Italy or Austria giving you the right to work there, with all the relevant documents. In Italy this would be a Codice Fiscale, Permesso di Soggiorno etc.
- You must have an excellent level of spoken & written English.
- We need outdoor enthusiasts with good hiking experience in the hills and mountains and the ability to read and understand an outdoor hiking map.
- You would need a driving licence with at least one year’s experience of driving (manual).
- N.B. Please do not apply if you are a UK National without an EU passport or residency in Italy or Austria. Unfortunately, we cannot apply for a visa on your behalf.
- Friendly & warm personality.
- Supportive and empathetic team player.
- Hard-working, focused and resourceful.
- It is essential that you are a people person as much as an outdoor person. Your daily interaction with your guests will be what transforms their holiday from a good one into an outstanding one. Looking after people on holiday comes with its challenges of course, so you also need to be kind, understanding, patient and a good problem solver.
- You also need to maintain strong working relationships with your teammates over the course of a season, as you will spend a lot of working and social time with them. Forgiveness, patience and understanding are needed here even more than with your guests!
Wage & Package
- A competitive monthly wage in the region of €1200 euros/month – on an Italian or Austrian Contract.
- Shared accommodation provided in an apartment (or shared room in a guest house) in the village. Room sharing is normal.
- A budget is provided for the team to buy and cook your own meals in the apartment or guest house.
- One Full day off – Tuesday. Lots of free time built in on many other days.
- Training and orientation on location before the first guests arrive on 17th June.
Not Provided by Collett’s
- Travel Insurance for the season. Unless you are an Italian or Austrian National, this will be something you would have to source yourself from your home country.
- Travel expenses to and from Corvara in Italy and Ehrwald in Austria.
Collett’s is a small, independent holiday specialist, offering self-guided and guided Hiking Holidays in some of Europe’s most stunning mountain ranges and areas of outstanding beauty: In Italy, The Dolomites and Tuscany; the Austrian & Swiss Alps; and in Spain, the Pyrenees, and the Sierra Tejeda (Andalucia).
Mainly from the UK, and all English speaking, the guests are generally a middle-aged crowd of ‘outdoor enthusiasts’ who love the hills and mountains. Many of them will have been on a Collett’s holiday before, winter or summer. Their expectation of you, the team on the ground, will be that you are warm and engaging hosts, focused on their comfort and enjoyment, with a genuine interest in helping them get the best from their precious six days of walking in area. For many guests, regardless of the fantastic area in which they are in, it will be you and your teammates who make the holiday for them.
Apply now for a wonderful experience in the Austrian Alps or Italian Dolomites!
When you apply, please send the following:
- a copy of your CV.
- a Cover note explaining why you are interested in the job.
- a photo so that we can put a face to the voice when we chat over the telephone.
We look forward to hearing from you.