Collett’s Mountain Holidays is looking for two qualified walk leaders to lead our guests on hill walks in the beautiful Val d’Orcia, Tuscany. We are looking for warm, friendly, polite, enthusiastic, organised & resourceful people.
IMPORTANT: Please note that we can only accept applications from candidates with an EU passport or candidates that already have the right to work in Italy. Also, you should be available from 24th September to 29th October 2022
The role is predominantly guiding, but also includes a significant hosting element, as well as acting as a holiday representative at times. You need to enjoy looking after people, helping them to enjoy all elements of their holiday, helping them to solve problems where you can.
We are looking for people who are registered with the CoNaGai (or with a regional Collegio) and the Italian Government, appropriately insured and with the right to work in Italy. This could be any UIMLA-certified EU National, People with the Accompagnatore di Media Montagna in Italy, or the Accompagnateur in France, or equivalent qualifications from other EU member states.
What we do
We run walking holidays for our guests who stay at the Agriturismo Il Rigo in the Val d’Orcia, Tuscany. Our guests are mainly from the UK and all English speaking. We have exclusive use of the agriturismo, and our guests stay Saturday to Saturday. Guests tend to come as couples, or sometimes in small groups of friends.
Overview of your weekly commitment
- Leading groups 5 days / week
- Evening Briefing (Office Hour) 6 days / week
- Dinner with guests- 3 nights / week (with option of 6 nights)
- Welcoming new arrivals each Saturday from 3 pm onwards
Five days a week (not Saturday or Wednesday) You would be leading groups on day walks in the local hills, which would start around 9 am and normally finish by mid to late afternoon. We offer two walks a day, one walk being easier than the other. These walks sometimes require a taxi drop off or pick up and might involve walking to or from one of the numerous hilltop villages in the area.
Each evening (except Wednesday), from about 6 to 7 pm, you would host a social ‘briefing session’ we refer to as Office Hour, when we give guests information about the two walk options for the next day over a pre-dinner drink. Our guests then sign up for the walk of their choice. You might also be advising guests who wish to self-guide locally, using information about local walks we have documented and leave available for guests to use. They might also ask for suggestions about other places of interest to visit. Luisa and Matthias, the owners of Il Rigo would be happy to give guests ideas about this too.
Three nights of the week we would also as you to eat with the guests at Il Rigo, as a dinner host, enjoying a three-course meal and wine etc. You would do this on alternate nights with your fellow guide.
- You would liaise with our office on a weekly basis by phone and email. We would send you arrivals reports each week, with information about your guests, and their arrival times each Saturday.
- Welcoming New Arrivals each Saturday. Early Saturday morning we would need you at Il Rigo to from 3 pm onwards we would need you to be at Il Rigo to help welcome the new arrivals. Some of our guests arrive by car, others fly into Pisa and then take a train to another station, from where we organise a taxi to transport them to Il Rigo.
After that, you would run office hour as usual, and one of the guides would eat with the guests that evening.
- You would be provided with a walking programme from our office, which would probably be the same each week. For a couple of these walks, you would have to book a taxi drop off or pick up, and you might not know the guest numbers involved until the evening before the walk. If the weather forecast is poor, we would ask you to make the relevant changes to the walking programme each week, if needed.
- As the face of Collett’s at Il Rigo, you might have some guests who come to you with negative feedback or a complaint about an element of their holiday. We would ask you to listen attentively and act where you can, to help solve a problem the guest might be having. Support for these situations would always be available from a contact in our UK office, who would give you advice, or contact the guest themselves by phone. This is not a common occurrence, but with people on holiday, there might always be situations that come up.
- Available for the full period 24th September to 29th October 2022
- Have the right and necessary paperwork to work in Italy as a walk leader.
- Have a very good level of spoken & written English.
- Able to be employed on a self-employed basis.
- Ideally – have your own car to travel to and from Il Rigo from your accommodation.
Wage & Package
- €1000 – per week
- Accommodation provided in an apartment in a nearby town, shared by the two guides.
- Three (or the option of six) evening meals provided at Il Rigo each week.
- One Full day off – Wednesday
What we do not provide
- Travel expenses to and from Tuscany.
- Travel insurance if your main home and residence is not in Italy.
- Breakfasts and packed lunches, and dinner on four nights of the week (unless you would like to eat with the guests every night, in which case we include that).
It is essential that you are a people person as much as an outdoor person. Your daily interaction with your guests will be what transforms their holiday from a good one into an outstanding one. Looking after people on holiday comes with its challenges of course, so you also need to be understanding, patient and very resourceful.